Community events for the week of Monday, February 13th, 2017
Here’s what’s going on around the High Desert:
- Volunteers Needed for American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign The City of Victorville is collaborating with the American Red Cross and San Bernardino County Fire to promote fire safety in our community. They need volunteers to help with their Home Fire Campaign on Feb. 18. Volunteers will be installing FREE smoke detectors and providing home fire safety education to residents in our local community. Register to volunteer at http://tinyurl.com/2017HomeFireFeb18 If you have any questions, please contact Christine Villafuerte at Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Now until March 1, 2017…The B&N My Favorite Teacher Contest-Once again Middle and High School students can Nominate Their teachers for National, Regional and Local Award through Barnes & Nobles 7th annual “My Favorite Teacher Contest”-Middle School and High School students and active teachers employed in elementary, middle or high schools in the US are eligible to win.-for details on the contest rules and photos and the winning essay from 2016, visit www.bn.com/myfavoriteteacher
- Now until March 18…Early Bird Registration for the Superhero 5K-registration is now open for the Superhero 5k happening at Civic Plaza Park in Hesperia on April 26, 2017. Get the early bird price by signing up today.5k- Adults $25 kids $10. 1k 12 & under $10.-visit https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=90085&owner=1
- Open through March 25, 2017… Science on a Sphere 9:00 am to 5:00pm Tuesday thru Friday, 10:00am to 4:00pm Saturday and Sunday Harvey House 681 N. First Ave, Barstow, CA-$10 adults, $7. Seniors/Military $5. Students with ID-NASA exhibit features a 6 foot spherical display utilizing 4 video projectors to show planetary processes including effects of global climate change and more For more information visit: https://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/ http://www.gdscc.nasa.gov/
or contact Margaret Carter (760) 255-5109 or email@example.com
- Now until the middle of March…Seeking Sponsors for Community Clean up-City of Victorville is seeking sponsors for the April 8th community cleanup project. Sponsors name is listed on the event t-shirt worn by hundreds of volunteers during the clean up, along with event fliers, posters and advertisements.-for more info about sponsorship lease call City of Victorville Environmental Programs Division at 760-955-3306
- Thursday, Feb. 16th through Sunday, Feb. 19th…“The Last Five Years” musical 7:30pm nightly Thursday the 16th, Friday the 17th & Saturday the 18th and 2:30pm on Sunday the 19th at the High Desert Center For The Arts 15615 Eighth St, Victorville. Enjoy a musical featuring two New Yorkers who have fallen in and out of love over the course of five years. To purchase tickets online visit www.app.arts-people.com or call 760-963-3236.
- Friday, Feb. 17 & Saturday, Feb. 18th…Dogs on the Go Mobile Adoption Weekend 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at PetSmart, 19011 Bear Valley Road, Apple Valley. VVAPL will be in the parking lot with the dogs, in the mobile adoption vehicle and VVAPL cats will be inside PetSmart’s Cat Adoption Center. For more information and costs call VVAPL Humane Society 760-247-2102.
- Saturday, February 18th…”Autism Eats” lunch event 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at BJ’s restaurant and Bewhouse, 11600 Amargosa Rd, Victorville. Magician Jonathan Molo will perform for this sensory friendly family event. For tickets and info visit www.autismeats.org or search Autism Eats High Desert on Facebook.
- Saturday, Feb. 18th & Sunday, Feb. 19th…Civil War Reenactment Battles will take place twice a day. Calico Ghost Town will come alive with the sounds of bugles, and the thunder of cannon and musket fire. Come experience the history of the Civil War at Calico Ghost Town 36600 Ghost Town Road Yermo, with historic presentations, troop inspections, artillery demonstrations, military battles, and much more! There will also be live music and other performers. On Saturday only, there will be a Ladies Tea during the afternoon and Blue & Gray Cotillion in the evening, all are welcome to join. Admission to the event is $10 for adults, $6 for youth (6-15), and free for children 5 and under. For more information on the event or for camping reservations, please call 800-TO-CALICO.
- Sunday, February 19th…Celebrating Black History Month 2:00pm to 4:00pm at Victor Valley Museum, 11873 Apple Valley Road, Apple Valley. DVL (Dreamers, Visionaries & Leaders) is proud to present the collection of quilts by artist Theresa Polley-Shellcroft, along with displays from Frances Busby, Gwen Humphries and Audrey Williams. Theresa with be giving a lecture on the meaning of the quilts on display. -Also on display through February 28th , is a variety of paintings including watercolor, oil, acrylic, charcoal, pencil and pen & ink by Spring Valley Lake resident Ms. Sadie Patterson. -for further inquiries contact 760-242-2487 or visit www.dvlproject.com or call the museum at 760-240-2111.
- Victor Valley Chamber of Commerce
- City of Victorville
- City of Victorville Recreation
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Apple Valley Town Events
- Hesperia Chamber of Commerce
- Hesperia Recreation & Park events
- High Desert Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
→ Christy is the host of “Mornings with Christy,” Monday – Friday, 6:00 AM to 10:00 AM on Route 103-KVFG Victorville, a CBS Radio station. The Route Roundup is a community events calendar. Follow Route 103 KVFG on Twitter or like Route 103 KVFG on Facebook.